Making sure an open house is successful – whether you’re a seller or a buyer – can mean closing faster, securing better pricing and a more stress-free process. Here are some tips for both sellers and buyers to get the most out of an open house.
Seller – The Host
- A thorough top-to-bottom cleaning to impress potential buyers.
- Decluttering every room will make your space seem larger.
- Removing personal items from your house will help buyers picture themselves in this house.
- Let your agent run the open house – go out for the day. They’ll do the best job pointing out features that are relevant to each buyer according to their needs.
- Don’t forget the details: mow the lawn, plant some flowers, add cut flowers inside, and bake something so your house smells welcoming!
Buyer – The Guest
- Narrow your search parameters so that you are only seeing houses in person that fit your specific criteria. But…
- Add a few homes to your tour list that are below, and a few that are slightly above your target price range. This will help you spot the gems that are right for you.
- Follow etiquette and house rules when touring. Stand out as the polite people.
- Have a list of questions about that property to ask the agent on duty.
- Take a listing sheet from the house to reference afterwards.